Monday, May 14, 2007

"It was long ago and it was far away..."

My old football coach at the Air Force Academy probably wouldn't even remember me anymore. After all, I was a fourth string running back before I left the academy for the sanity of a real college. Not to mention that it was (quite) a few years ago. Anyway, that coach, Fisher DeBerry, retired after last season.

The new coach is a middle aged guy like me who was the second string quarterback while I was the fourth string running back. We were also part of a handful or more of guys that often found themselves in late night poker games.

I'm sure Troy Calhoun is still a great person although I'd bet he's not as easy going as I remember. After all, he is a football coach. While I'm happy for Troy, I feel a bit old with a former teammate now coaching the very team we played on. The picture below isn't helping me feel any younger either.

I'm sure Troy would have to think for awhile if someone asked him if he remembered a guy named Ted Browne. That's OK...it took me a bit to remember him. After all, it was long ago.

Hopefully his tenure is long so I can continuously drive my friends crazy by pointing to the television and stating, "Hey I used to play with that guy!" A few decades of this would be nice. Unfortunately, this won't be possible for a couple of years since there aren't any sports bars in the neighbourhood. At least none that show any game I would care about.

Congratulations on your accomplishment Troy and thanks for giving me a reason to watch more football.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you look much younger than Troy, Ted. If you want to catch up on old times with Troy, come to Ft Collins on October 13th and maybe you can hook up with him after his Falcons have thier way with the Rams. Fisher will be a hard act to follow and I wish him well. Certainly by now he knows all about 'adversity'.

Lisa