Sunday, May 18, 2008
Survival mode
What can be more scary than jumping out of an airplane? What can be more difficult than childbirth? What can leave haunting images in ones mind? A recent experience conjured up all these feelings within me - when I witnessed Dylan jump off a see-saw and land with a blood curdling scream, to find him laying on the ground, not moving and seeing his arm in an unnatural position with his bone pushing against his skin. Survival mode - your brain races. What do I need to do...it focuses on one thing - what do I need to do to help Dylan. All brain activity gets channeled to this situation. I have no idea how to use my blackberry, my fingers can't hit the right buttons. Fortunately there were others there to take control. Sheri asks, "Should I call emergency?" (fortunately she learned that the emergency number in Belgium is 112 just last week). I wonder, is it dislocated? I talk to Dylan - he is so brave, not moving his body, just laying there saying that it hurts bad. He doesn't cry out, just writhes in pain, his face scrunched up, it hurts...it hurts. I cover up his arm with my jacket, I can't look at it anymore (but amazing how my mind still remembers it). The ambulance is coming. I see Julie riding her bike to clear the path for the ambulance. They get the arm wrapped up and stabilized and ready for the ride. I arrange with Sherri to take Mackenzie and pick up Taylor. I say good bye to Mackenzie and tell her she's going to go home with Sherri. She nods in agreement without saying a word. She's standing so still and quiet I wonder what is going through her mind. I race to my car to meet Dylan at the hospital. I get there and realize quickly that I don't know what the word for "emergency room" is in dutch and none of the signs give me any good indication. I have to ask a couple of people how to get there. I forget that the first floor in Europe is the second floor to us. Finally one woman walks me to the reception. They ask me a couple of questions and I realize the only information I can give them is my name and address. Room 4 - Dylan is laying on the cot. The doctors are looking at his arm. One doctor keeps pinching his fingertips. They need to take x-rays. Dylan is still in a lot of pain, especially because they had to unwrap his arm to look at it. Everyone is very nice - the x-ray techs take very special care with his arm, no additional pain for him. I see the x-ray on the way out...the top bone is not connect to the bottom bone, as a matter of fact it's pointing to the side. I am still wondering, is it dislocated or broken? I get to the room and the doctor tells me they have to transport him to the childrens hospital for the operation. What did you say? What operation? Is this a translation issue? No, they have to operate on his arm to put it back in place. There may be vascular damage because his hand isn't getting enough blood. So first they are going to move the bone to relieve the pressure and then they are going to transport him in an ambulance. OK, I guess. Oh I wish Ted were here. (I forgot to mention that Ted boarded an airplane about the exact time that Dylan fell). They prepare Dylan for the procedure. They are going to put him to sleep so they can move the arm. Dylan is asleep, but as soon as they start moving the arm, he starts moaning and kicking his legs. He's asleep but he can feel the pain. I'm standing helplessly aside, watching 5 people hold my son down while one guy is pulling on his arm. This is painful, terrible, I can hardly stand it. Please finish. After what seemed like a lifetime, they stop. OK, the fingers are getting blood again. They are satisfied. If he's lucky, it is only the bone that pushing against the artery. If not, he'll have a longer surgery to repair the artery. They quickly cast his arm and we are on his way. I get directions from the receptionist, stop at home to pick up baby blankie and to drop off the key with the neighbors so they can let Murphy out at night. The receptionist gives me bad directions, I lose a few minutes. I get to the hospital and park in the wrong lot. Running through the hospital, I find the childrens hospital. The nurse comes to me right away. The doctor is there ready to operate. It's going to be a difficult surgery, he tells me, because the bones that need to grow back together are like two knifes against each other and he has to put pins to hold them together. They let me sneak into the operating room to see Dylan. He looks scared, I'm sure I look scared. I give him a big kiss and tell him I'm proud of him. He kisses baby blankie. The nurse shows me to his room to wait. It's 7:30, 3 hours since he's fallen and he's already in surgery. I still haven't gotten a hold of Ted. The nurse tells me the surgery should take 1.5 to 2 hours. About 10:00 they bring him in. He's out cold. The doctor tells me the surgery was very difficult but it went well. He shows me the x-rays and the pins. He feels Dylan will have full motion of his arm, but the next week is critical for the arm to heal in the right way. I say thank you very much and he looks a bit surprised and embarrassed. I go back to the room and snuggle up next to Dylan's bed on my cot. I try Ted one more time (it's 10:30 by now) and he answers, "Hi hon, what's going on?"...oh boy, have I got a story to tell you...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, what a deal! It sounds to me like everyone was brave and everyone did what they could to help. I hope Dylan heals without much pain and that he gets lots of signatures on his cast!
Love, Lisa
It sounds like you handled things really well.......its amazing how your mind and body just takes over. The language barrier adds a whole dimension I can't even imagine!
That is super scary......Dylan is unbelievably brave(just like his mama).
Hugs and kisses to everyone.
Hope the healing process goes smoothly.
Miss you all!
I like the new photo!
Post a Comment