Getting to Vegas was like a slow motion dream. But, any twenty hour trip would be, especially with delays, missed connections, and shared taxis. It sounds like I'm whining...Poor Ted, lives in europe and had such a hard day's travel to spend 4 days with his family in Vegas...I know, it's rough. Still, it's been a long day when a face wash in the airport bathroom is not only necessary, but refreshing. It's hard to be me.
There's something great about being the last to arrive. Everyone's waiting for you, eye's light up, hugs are exchanged, lots of energy emanates. From that positive vibe I started m
y day and a half winning streak at craps and, believe it or not, video poker. Of course, I was there for 4 days so the next three days were spent squandering those winnings back to nearly even. Still, only the casino employees took my money home this time (tips). Figuring in the occasional free cocktail, I did OK. It's been so long since Vegas now that I'm not sure if the picture to the right is my big winner or someone else's in the family (I think Deb won a big one also). I do know Deb took the picture.It's not all about me, of course, and Deb and Chris proved this by being the big winners. They both play with the theory that blackjack is streaky. You lose, lose, lose...you win, win, win. When you're lose, lose, losing, you keep your bets low. Everytime you win a bet, you raise your bet. It's one of those things in life that sounds a lot easier than it is. But when you hit a good streak it pays dividends. I doubt if either of them won more hands than the casino, but on their winning streaks they strangled the gold from the Golden Nugget.
Others fared less well, although Lisa has been the big winner in the previous two outings. I don't know if next year will be mom's turn, but I want to be at that craps table if it happens...If only to hear her whistle! Bernie is wiser than the rest of us since he mostly watches and dabbles a little. Amy broke even since she wasn't there. Hopefully she'll join us when the kids are older and we're back in the states.
Other highlights: Binion's Steakhouse---the annual visit for the great food and the scary elevator ride. Mixing with the Ft. Collins crew. The football playoffs. Cirque Du Soleil's "O" with Deb and Bernie--
-what a show!One of the great things about Vegas---everyone can have their own schedule and still spend time together. Need to see a show? Go along with Deb and Bernie. Want to stay up til 3 am? Chris will join you. Go to bed before midnight and you'll be up for breakfast with mom and Lisa. Sleep til noon? No worries...you'll be with everyone from then until late at night.
Amy met me in the school parking lot with the smile that makes her green eyes... We startled Veerle as Amy and I kissed and hugged. Maybe that was a bit too much outward emotion. I explained that I hadn't seen her for 5 days...
Oh, the hardest part about Vegas: You really need a few days rest afterwards to get over it. As I said before...It's hard to be me. Can't wait until next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment