Thursday, February 01, 2007

Dylan's world

The other night I helped Dylan complete his "Vrienden Boek" (friend book) for a friend of his at school. These books ask some fun and basic questions that even Amy and I can now (mostly) figure out without the Dutch/English dictionary. One question: "If you were stranded on a deserted island what would you want with you?" "What does deserted mean, dad?" "It means noone lives there." I think Dylan's answer was legos-------One day later: "Dad, can you tell me again about that 'candy island?'" "I don't remember a candy island." "The one you talked about last night--the one where noone lives ." Ooooohh--the deserted island....I get it...... "des(s)ert" island.....candy...

Amy to Dylan, "in 10 years, or so, you'll have whiskers." Dylan laughs, "mom, only cats and dogs have whiskers."

Today....Dylan: "Dad, I heard in school that someone's grandma has seen a flying dinosaur." My response: "dinosaurs have been gone for a long time, I'm sure she saw it's fossil in a museum." Dylan: "No dad, it was in a different country...not here or America!" Aaaah...so that's why I'm not familiar with it.

Sometimes he asks unanswerable questions and then confronts me regarding my response: Dylan--"Why are all these cars going the same direction as us? Are they all going to the same place?" Me--"Probably not." Dylan--"How do you know?"

Dylan constantly gives short insights into the workings of his brain. His quotes paint hilarious pictures--like a pterodactyl soaring above an island made of candy, or teenagers walking about with cat-like whiskers. What a guy!

No comments: