Monday, October 30, 2006

Little Mac



Stages come and go quickly with Mackenzie...if I don't post this now I may have to change it within a few days. She thinks that if she can't see you, then you can't see her. When Kenzie doesn't want to be found she simply covers her eyes...Presto! She's gone. Hiding behind her hands gives her the urge to play peek-a-boo, and thus her magic trick ends. Immune to language barriers, since she's just learning language, she makes friends often. Most people who stop and talk to Mackenzie leave the "conversation" without knowing that we have no clue what was said. However, through some of these interactions I have become acquainted with the phrase "mooie krullentjes." More than once heard from elderly women it means, "beautiful little curls." She loves dogs, and points out any she sees with a pretty good "Jersey" accent..."dahggy ryyy dayaa." Her own dog is cause for wariness, however, since Mackenzie doesn't like to share food. "I anna," for some reason, means she would like something to drink, and "toot" has evolved into her "catch-all" toilet phrase: "I go toot-toot try." A monkey is an "ooh-ooh, aah-aah" and all stuffed animals are "babies." She's mostly potty trained now because of her love of M&M's and big girl underwear. "Me got it," she says when she helps me carry something (while I'm carrying her). She slows the pace down, especially when we're late, by untying, and sometimes unlacing her shoes. She often cheers when we pull into "sports school"--she knows she'll spend the better part of an hour climbing, jumping, climbing...She surprises us from time to time with a good sentence...her English is coming along. Sometimes she interchanges English and Dutch in her growing vocabulary. At the store yesterday--thank you in Dutch and good-bye in English: Dank u...bye-bye. She's a busy, happy child, which makes her parents happy (and busy).

No comments: